Goals That Excite The Heck Out Of You
Prefer to LISTEN to this week’s issue?
Turn up your speakers and
Click here to download…
When you read that word “goal” did you tense up. Or did you feel discouraged thinking -yeah, yeah, I set goals and never achieve them? If so, you’re probably not setting goals that are related to what you really want in YOUR life. Goals worth going for are the ones that make you feel excited with the kind of anticipation you felt as a kid waiting for Christmas.
There are many tasks that we disguise as goals. Cleaning out the clutter, eliminating debt, losing 10 lbs. Those are all great things to do because they free up energy to go after your real goals…but they are not goals -they are things to do. One way to figure out whether your goal is a task is to ask yourself how you will feel once it’s done. I pulled together all the paperwork I needed this week to meet with my accountant to get my taxes done. What did I feel when I had completed this? Relief. Not excitement. Certainly not joy! When you accomplish an authentic goal you will feel joy -and don’t forget to celebrate it thoroughly! Here are 5 secrets to creating goals that excite the heck out of you.
1. Make a list. Take about 20 minutes. Relax for a few minutes getting out of your head and connecting with your body. Then quickly jot down all the goals you would like to be do or have. Don’t worry if your lizard brain starts shouting that “you can’t possibly have that.” Just thank it and say “I’m only making a list for heaven’s sake!” Now ask yourself the following questions about each of the items on your list.
2. Is it clear? Saying you want to write a book someday isn’t clear enough. I will write a book about (put your subject here) and have it completed and to an editor by October 13, 2010 is a clear goal.
3. Does it fit your values? If you highly value flexibility and freedom, a goal that requires you to do all your actions towards it in one location at very specific times just won’t fit. If you value financial freedom and your goal will get you closer to that -then you’re right on.
4. Does it fit with what you love? If you love to travel, and your goal allows you to travel to achieve it, hooray! If you love being outdoors and physically active, and your goal requires long periods of time indoors, well, you might lose steam.
5. Do you really want it? On a scale of 1-10 with 1 is like being trapped on a plane next to the dullest person on earth who talks non-stop and 10 is absolute bliss -how would you score your goal? If it’s less than 8, toss it -it’s not worth your precious energy and time.
Pick one or two goals that you would love to accomplish within a year. Then get support to make it happen!
Want to do something courageous? Post a goal that you absolutely intend to reach within the next year on my blog.